River Basin Twinning Initiatives as a Tool to Implement EU Water Initiatives
Research & Development
Jun 2008 - May 2012
Donor Programme: Seventh Framework Programme of European Commission - Cooperation programme
The overall objective of the WETwin project is to enhance the role of wetlands in basin-scale integrated water resources management (IWRM), with the aim of improving the community service functions while conserving good ecological status.
The overall objective is broken down into the following specific objectives:
1. Identify community based technical and institutional solutions for the management of wetlands and river basins with the aim of utilizing the drinking water supply and sanitation potentials of wetlands for the benefit of people living in the basin.
2. Account for ecosystem functions and values of wetlands. The proposed management solutions should also take care of preserving (and also for improving as much as possible) the ecological values of wetlands.
3. Identify strategies for adapting the management of wetlands to the changing environmental conditions.
4. Identify solutions and strategies for integrating wetlands into river basin management and planning, by taking relevant national and international policies/guidelines into consideration, and also by accounting for the envisaged community service functions of wetlands.
5. Ensure that stakeholders and decision makers will benefit from the project, also after the end of the project.
6. Increase the exchange of expertise on wetland management and on IWRM; increase the transferability of results and achieve better international networking; enhancing North-South, South-North and South-South (Inter-African, African – South American) cooperation.
7. Increase the capacity of relevant organisations to manage wetlands and river basins in an integrated way.