The course is designed for professionals actively involved in the urban water cycle and/or wastewater treatment or those who have an interest in model application from a research point of view.
Basic knowledge of urban drainage and sewerage, wastewater treatment processes, biochemistry and microbiology is required for successful completion of the course.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 08 May 2017
End: 08 September 2017
ECTS credit points: 5
Deadline IHE application: 23 April 2017 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 850
Start: 07 May 2018
End: 07 September 2018
Deadline IHE application: 06 May 2018 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 896
- Have an understanding of urban drainage, sewerage and treatment processes and systems
- Understand the possibilities, potential and mechanisms of a mathematical model for research, design or optimization for wastewater collection and wastewater treatment systems
- Introduction to modelling of sanitation systems: Z. Vojinovic, M. Henze, C.M. Hooijmans
- Urban drainage and sewerage: A. Pathirana, D. Brdjanovic
- Activated sludge systems: D. Brdjanovic, M.C.M. van Loosdrecht, C. Fall
- Membrane Bioreactors (MBR): D. Saroj
- Anaerobic digestion: J.B. van Lier, N. Mahmoud
- Biofilm systems: E. Morgenroth
- Ponds and wetlands: D. Rousseau, C.M. Hooijmans, L. Sah
Participants complete the internet based curriculum in a period of about four months with a workload of 140 hours. A participant is expected to spend about 8 hours per week on average through reading, discussion and assignments. The curriculum consists of narrated or video recorded lectures available for those registered for the online course, and of lecture handouts and assignments.
The course includes access to the course materials as well as individual guidance and mentoring during the course. The maximum number of participants is 20. The course material is also provided compiled in a DVD package. Most of the material is also used for teaching in the Sanitary Engineering specialisation of the UNESCO-IHE’s Master Program in Urban Water and Sanitation. Discounts apply as follows: 30% to UNESCO-IHE alumni, 10% to UN family staff members, 10% to groups of 5 or more – provided that the courses start at the same time and group application has been sent.